Life's a collision course and I'm a crash test dummy.
Brace for impact!
Join me on a kamikaze run through life as we break down the barriers that keep us from reaching our goals.
Together we will dream more, learn more, do more, and become more on a whirlwind journey of personal discovery and development.

IMPORTANT:

Bookmark my blog because new content is added daily!

Saturday, March 28, 2015

The Importance of Capturing Life Through The Lens

Dancing Poet Creative Media is launching a FREE Instagram course on April 1st.  Be sure to sign up for their newsletter to get it.


I'm so happy to be part of Dancing Poet Creative Media's Blog Hop Today! 

 

Without further ado, here's author Devin Berglund
to tell you about the importance of capturing life through the lens!

Don't you just love that we have the opportunity to capture life and memories through pictures? Do you ever look back at your childhood photos? Or even at your parent's childhood pictures? I sure know I do. I love looking through them. One time I was sitting in my parent's family library where a ton of our books are. There was this little wooden photo chest. I cracked it open to find dozens of pictures. They were black and white, sepia, and some were colored. Some were of my parents when they were younger, of me and my siblings, or even brittle photographs of my grandparents and great-grandparents.

40316_425737491888_4966471_n
This is a picture of my dad's mother, Doris, with her siblings. She is on the far left. Check out the cool old cars!

Photos are just as important today as they were back then, except I think they were kept in a physical copy back then more than they are today. But who doesn't love physical copies of photographs? I think we need to be printing our photos more so that we have a storehouse of memories that isn't stored on technology.

 

4 Reasons You Should Capture Life Through The Lens

 

1. Memories

IMG_4313

In the dead of winter our white German Shepherd had a litter of puppies... guess what color all of them were? The only white they inherited from her was the white on the tips of their tails.
In the dead of winter our white German Shepherd had a litter of puppies... guess what color all of them were?
The only white they inherited from her was the white on the tips of their tails.

2. Sense of time & place

 

There are many things that will give you a sense of time and place. Here are some things to think about when you are taking photos. You want your kids to know what things were like when they were growing up, but a photographer barely considers looking for these kinds of things. The things that might be different in 20 years.

Clothing -

69406_10151172423676889_1794331588_n

You'll be able to get a feeling of time by the clothing.
These are my mom's parents. Classy clothing, right? 


Haha... I always love this photo. The rolled up jeans and the white shirts.

Haha... I always love this photo. 
The rolled up jeans and the white shirts. 
My dad is the little guy on the left with the cat.

 

 Cars & Equipment -

 

My dad. hehe... he is holding a little toy gun acting like a cowboy.
My dad. hehe... he is holding a little toy gun acting like a cowboy. 


56600_448749781888_5572552_o
 Me back in my gangsta years. haha...

 

Place -

 

My mom's parent's farm. Boy do I miss that place. The farm where my mom grew up. Boy do I miss that place.


  These are the woods and river near my home in Minnesota. So beautiful, right?
I took the photo with my drone.


3. The small things

 

Like an excited child and the use of his or her imagination. 

Nothing better than catching a child's imagination on camera. My dad was definitely up to something here.

Nothing better than catching a child's imagination on camera.
My dad was definitely up to something here.


Of course that is what a rain vane is for. My sister loved Dandelions.
Of course that is what a rain vane is for. My sister loved Dandelions.


 Me helping mom pick out  Christmas flowers. 
Me helping mom pick out Christmas flowers.


Cute bashful little looks when a little one steals their parent's shoes. My grandpa did that here. And I know my brother did it a lot when he was little too! 
Cute bashful little looks when a little one steals their parent's shoes.
My grandpa did that here. And I know my brother did it a lot when he was little too!


My brother Tony partying it up with M&Ms!  
My brother Tony partying it up with M&Ms!

You probably understand what I mean about capturing all the small things.
It's tough to describe it all in words when you have the images at your fingertips.

And hey, a picture is worth a thousand words. 


1930529_39492556888_9336_n 
Family moments are also great to catch. This is my mom and her parents.


My dad on the far left with his brothers and dad. 
 My dad on the far left with his brothers and dad.


My Fiance (the little one) with his brother and sister!  
My fiancé (the little one) with his brother and sister!


Me with my Grandma Doris, dad (left) and his brothers! 
Me with my Grandma Doris, dad (left) and his brothers!

4. Traveling

In December, I went to South Africa. Totally loved it. Definitely recommend you go there someday! I find it super important to take pictures everywhere, while traveling.


Tafelberg (Table Mountain, Cape Town) 
Tafelberg (Table Mountain, Cape Town)


Climbing Tafelberg  (Table Mountain, Cape Town)
Climbing Tafelberg (Table Mountain, Cape Town)

At Cape Aghulus, South Africa. It is where the Atlantic Ocean meets the Indian Ocean! 
 At Cape Agulhas, South Africa. It is where the Atlantic Ocean meets the Indian Ocean!


Instagram is an amazing way to inspire yourself to take more pictures for your sake, your kid's sakes, and also for fun.

Capture it all. You will always enjoy looking back at them.

You'll be grateful you did take them! 

Challenge:

  1. Pick at least 10-20 pictures a month.
  2. Edit them.
  3. Have them printed.
  4. Start your own photo chest.

Dancing Poet Creative Media is launching a FREE Instagram course on April 1st.

Be sure to sign up for their newsletter to get it.

 

Blog Hop Schedule:

March 27th: 6 Reasons Why Writers Should Be On Instagram
March 28th:
The Importance of Capturing Life Through The Lens

March 29th:
Instagram DIY – Make Sure You DIY

March 30th:
5 Ideas You Can Steal From Instagram

March 31st: 7 Facts About Instagram That Will Make Your Business Sparkle & Shine (Importance of using Instagram in your business)

April 1st: There will be two posts today!


Post 1: What Your Readers Wish You Knew About Instagram
Post 2: LAUNCH DATE Post HERE!!!!!

 

We will be giving away:

• Two separate 1 hour blog coaching sessions • Three individual Instagram Bio Write Ups
• One full Insta Amazing Course (PDF) Version when it comes out
 

 

“Now how do I enter?” said every person ever!


1. In order to enter the contest you MUST do the following. http://dancingpoetcreativemedia.com/are-you-insta-amazing-course-launch-information/ IS THE OFFICIAL POINT BLOG POST. When you earn points make sure you comment on our link and tell us where, so you get your points!

2. Subscribe to our Newsletter to get the Are You Insta Amazing course for FREE. It will be sent out to you daily for the next two weeks, starting April 1st. (6 points) Comment on the POINT BLOG POST listed above to let us know you subscribed.

3.
Comment on blog hop post of the day. (4 points)
You can wrack up more points by commenting on each launch blog hop post. You get 4 points per blog post that comes out during the launch. You could get up to 28 points for just commenting each day. (See the above schedule)

4.
Follow @DPCreativeMedia on Twitter. (2 points)
After following us on Twitter leave us a comment on the POINT BLOG POST with your Twitter Username. When we tally the points we will follow you back. :)

5. Like us on Facebook. (2 points)
After liking our page, leave us a comment on the POINT BLOG POST with your Facebook url.

6.
Share this image and our url on your social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or on your blog). (4 points)
Url: http://dancingpoetcreativemedia.com/are-you-insta-amazing-course-launch-information/
Here is the picture to share: Insta Amazing FB pic

You may share this url as many times as you like, but if you do, please remember to tally your points
here on this blog post. Use this hashtag #InstAmazingLaunch. Remember, for your points to count you must tally your points at: http://dancingpoetcreativemedia.com/are-you-insta-amazing-course-launch-information/ No cheating. Or you will be disqualified.  


 

Devin Berglund is a Social Media and Editorial Content Writer at the Creative Child and babyMaternity Magazines. She started a social media managing and blog coaching business earlier this year. On her free time she enjoys FaceTiming her fiancé (who currently lives in Australia), traveling, and writing novels.

www.devinberglund.com. www.dancingpoetcreativemedia.com    

No comments :

Post a Comment

Greetings Realm-Rider! Thank you for hopping aboard the crazy train. I applaud your curiosity and courage. You have reached your destination: The Realm of D.M. Kilgore. There's lots to see and even more to do. Don't forget to grab a crash helmet! Oh, and before you go, let me know about your visit! Drop me a comment, question, or just let me know where your journey began. Don't just lurk in the shadows! Leave me a comment! You're automatically entered to win a prize when you do.