Life's a collision course and I'm a crash test dummy.
Brace for impact!
Join me on a kamikaze run through life as we break down the barriers that keep us from reaching our goals.
Together we will dream more, learn more, do more, and become more on a whirlwind journey of personal discovery and development.

IMPORTANT:

Bookmark my blog because new content is added daily!

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

The Trouble With Hats

The Trouble With Hats, D.M. Kilgore, Writing, The Realm, Goals, Plans, Dreams, Obstacles, Family vs Writing, Juggling Work Writing Family, How To, Overcome Obstacles, Better Goal Setting, Planning, Dreaming, Quick Fixes
This isn't a good look.
(photo credit: free image)

Hats. I have too many.  

What's wrong with having too many hats? 

It's nearly impossible to wear more than one at a time. 

 

My goal is to wear one hat at a time.
My plan is to schedule specific times of day to don each hat.
My dream is that each hat will be a good fit.
My obstacle is forgetting that no one looks good wearing seven hats.



The Trouble With Hats, D.M. Kilgore, Writing, The Realm, Dear Diary, Dear Bloody Diary, Goals, Plans, Dreams, Obstacles, Family vs Writing, Juggling Work Writing Family, How To, Overcome Obstacles, Better Goal Setting, Planning, Dreaming, Quick Fixes

We are half-way through the first week of February already and I'm still cramming hats on top of hats. I really need to focus on structuring and organizing my life. The reason I can't seem to get it together has a lot to do with obstacles-- most of which I create for myself.

Here's how the battle is looking so far...


1) January's "Goal a Day" plan lasted about five days. I simply couldn't come up with as many new goals as I thought I could.

  • Goal: I'm going to shoot for "Weekly Goals" in February.
  • Plan:  I will put a list of weekly goals in writing based on my dreams.
  • Dream: More time to learn about blogging, writing craft, and marketing.
  • Obstacle: Procrastination. Web searches for marketing tips often turn into "let me just check Facebook real quick" procrastination sessions.
    • Fix: Put a firm schedule in place that determines a specific timeline for my daily tasks. Oh, and make use of Leechblock whenever I'm working/writing.

2) January's plan was to implement a daily schedule and get a new planner. I never really got around to it. In fact, I didn't even by a 2015 wall calender until the end of the month.

  • Goal: Find a daggum planner by 5p.m. today!
  • Plan: Fill out this month's schedule, plan, goals, etc. This will leave room for adjustments next month. I'll mark the things that work well and the things that don't so I know what to change.
  • Dream: A carefully structured daily plan that allows for school, writing, work, and down time.
  • Obstacle: Perfectionism. I spent hours searching for the "perfect" mom-writer-homeschool teacher-college student-blogger-homemaker-crazy lady  planner. Guess what? There's no such thing.
    • Fix: If you can't find it, make it. The Passion Planner looks promising so far, but making my own with the bountiful harvest of goodies offered by Donna Young looks mighty shiny.

3) January's dream was to stop letting my reality determine the size of my dreams. That's still the dream. I'm still working out the kinks in how to make this happen, though. Reality continued to kick my butt in January.

  • Goal: Start the day with an inspirational quote or thought on dreams. 
  • Plan: Write it down on a post it and put it on my "daily board".
  • Dream: To have 28 days of dreamy inspiration staring me in the face by the end of the month.
  • Obstacle: Reality. I often forget about the little things I need to do to keep me motivated in the face of barking dogs, crying babies, worthy causes, and pressing "must-do" items.
    • Fix: Go to bed earlier so I can get up before the "crazy kicks in" and have some serious quiet time to reflect, ponder, muse, and dream.

Biggest Obstacle: 


Family first. Let's face it, the Mommy/Grand-Mommy hat is a hard one to take off. When little people need you hat hair is just a fact of life. It doesn't matter how well I plan or schedule my days, the need to don the "mom" hat at a moment's notice is going to make it challenging for my other hats to fit right.

Fix:

  • Be sure that hubby has his "dad" hat on while I'm working/writing. Many little-peep needs can be handled just as well by dad as by mom.
    • Create a list of "dad" hat super powers (things he can handle).
    • Create a list of "call for backup" items that it's okay to interrupt my work for.
  • Trade my "mom" hat in for a cape.


The Trouble With Hats, D.M. Kilgore, Writing, The Realm, Goals, Plans, Dreams, Obstacles, Family vs Writing, Juggling Work Writing Family, How To, Overcome Obstacles, Better Goal Setting, Planning, Dreaming, Quick Fixes , Edna Mode, Invincibles, No Capes!
Okay, Edna! Don't get your bob in a knot!
(photo credit: tumblr)

How about this apron then?

The Trouble With Hats, D.M. Kilgore, Writing, The Realm, Goals, Plans, Dreams, Obstacles, Family vs Writing, Juggling Work Writing Family, How To, Overcome Obstacles, Better Goal Setting, Planning, Dreaming, Quick Fixes, Super Mom Apron, Shop Mom Aprons
Super Mom!
*Get Yours Here*

This would go with any hat, right?

 

 

The Trouble With Hats, D.M. Kilgore, Writing, The Realm, Goals, Plans, Dreams, Obstacles, Family vs Writing, Juggling Work Writing Family, How To, Overcome Obstacles, Better Goal Setting, Planning, Dreaming, Quick Fixes
Did your January plans pan out?

• ○ • YOUR TURN! • ○ •


What are your goals, plans, and dreams?
What obstacles stand in your way?


Comment below, subscribe above, and show me some love.
You'll be automatically entered for a chance to win a monthly prize pack when you do.

 

 

 

 

 

D.M. Kilgore, Writer, Literary Hitwoman, Crash Test Dummy, Blog, TheRealm, The Trouble With Hats, Writing, The Realm, Goals, Plans, Dreams, Obstacles, Family vs Writing, Juggling Work Writing Family, How To, Overcome Obstacles, Better Goal Setting, Planning, Dreaming, Quick Fixes, Writer Life, Am Writing
D.M. Kilgore
Writer, Literary Hitwoman, and Crash Test Dummy.

I'm D.M. Kilgore.

Writer, Literary Hitwoman, and Crash Test Dummy.


I hope you enjoyed today's post and you're loving the blog makeover as much as I am. You do love it, don't you?

Be sure to come back Friday!

I'll be announcing the winner of the January Prize Pack, revealing the February Prize, sharing a "family fun night" plan, and reporting on how my reality vs. dreams battle plan worked out this week. 

Visit often! This site is updated with new content at least three days a week (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday). Sometimes you'll find me here on Tipsy Tuesday or Thriller Thursday. I might even share my Saturday Shenanigans.

Subscribe today and you'll never miss out!



Life's A Collision Course

Brace For Impact!
D.M. Kilgore, Writer, Official Website, Phoenix Realm Publishing, The Realm Blog, The Realm of D.M. Kilgore, Writer, Author. Literary Hitwoman, The Trouble With Hats, D.M. Kilgore, Writing, The Realm, Goals, Plans, Dreams, Obstacles, Family vs Writing, Juggling Work Writing Family, How To, Overcome Obstacles, Better Goal Setting, Planning, Dreaming, Quick Fixes
© 2015 D.M. Kilgore A Phoenix Realm Publication
Content cannot be copied, reprinted, reproduced
or used in any way without the express permission of D.M. Kilgore. 
All work on this website and companion blog are copyright protected
and unless otherwise stated are the sole property of
D.M. Kilgore and Phoenix Realm Publishing

All Rights Reserved

 

 



2 comments :

Anonymous said...

My goal plan and dream are all the same and it is a goodnight sleep. Like 8 hours or maybe even 10 would be nice. My obstacle is insomnia. I CAN'T SLEEP.

DM Kilgore said...

Hi Anonymous! I'm sorry to hear that. I too suffer from insomnia. I have developed a relaxation technique that involves a breathing exercise and "putting away" today's worries. If you'd like to give it a try shoot me an email (you can contact me via my official website) and I'll explain it to you. It might just help! I hope you're able to get some sleep soon. I know that's not fun. Been there. Done that. Didn't even get a t-shirt. ;)

Post a Comment

Greetings Realm-Rider! Thank you for hopping aboard the crazy train. I applaud your curiosity and courage. You have reached your destination: The Realm of D.M. Kilgore. There's lots to see and even more to do. Don't forget to grab a crash helmet! Oh, and before you go, let me know about your visit! Drop me a comment, question, or just let me know where your journey began. Don't just lurk in the shadows! Leave me a comment! You're automatically entered to win a prize when you do.