Life's a collision course and I'm a crash test dummy.
Brace for impact!
Join me on a kamikaze run through life as we break down the barriers that keep us from reaching our goals.
Together we will dream more, learn more, do more, and become more on a whirlwind journey of personal discovery and development.

IMPORTANT:

Bookmark my blog because new content is added daily!

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Bringing The Heat- A Secret Look At A Day In The Hot Zone!

D.M. Kilgore, The Realm, Am Writing, FitBit, Fitness, College Life, Criminology, Balance Life Work and Family, Fit Writer, Ian Sommerhaulder Approves-Ha!, Just Write, Just Walk, Just Study, Just DO IT, Heat Map, Hot Zone, Productivity, Tipsy Tuesday, Writer Tips, A Day In The Life, A Writer's Day, 20k Steps! Bringing The Heat- A Secret Look At A Day In The Hot Zone by D.M. Kilgore Last week I told you about a fantastic productivity tool called Heat-Mapping.

 

I've been using this system for two weeks and I can't believe the difference it's made in my life.  

 

Amazing!


I went from struggling to get in a thousand words and 2 thousand steps a day to hitting over 12k words last night and over 20k steps! And I even had time to watch a 2 hour and 45 minute long movie!


Now that I've found my hot zones, I'm accomplishing my daily goals with time left over for some fun and relaxation. Let's face it, we all need a little more fun and relaxation in our days!

My day is divided into six categories. Each has a specific time of day to be completed based on my "heat" level during those hours.

Here is what a typical weekday looks like using the heat map technique:

 

I wake up in the GREEN zone

  •  Wake up at 6:00 a.m. (yes, me the anti-morning person is getting up before the rooster crows).
  •  Dress in workout clothes, wash face, brush teeth, etc.
  •  Let the furkids out to potty. Open all blinds, turn off security lights, etc.
  •  Drink 8 oz. of water.
  •  30 minutes of yoga. (I find putting the furkids in the playroom is the only way to do yoga!)
  •  Shower and dress for "work". (No more going to the office in PJ's.)
  •  Eat breakfast (usually oatmeal and fruit).
  •  Fix a cup of chai tea, fill my Contigo with water, and head to the office.
  •  Take a seat at the desk and check my Planner. Mark off "morning routine & workout".

    It is now 7 a.m. and time to start my first category "WORK". I'm in the YELLOW zone now.

  • 7 a.m. - 9 a.m. Boot up my laptop and desktop. Turn on my Relax Melodies app. and set it for "Isochronic Tones - 20-Concentration". This helps me get my mind to "focus". Work on jobs in order of pay-scale, importance, time available.

    It's now 9 a.m. and I'm in the ORANGE zone. It's time to move on to my next category "BLOGS".

  • 9 a.m. - Wake my son up, get his breakfast going, and sit down with him to go over his daily assignments. I turn him lose on his school work, and sit down at the desk in my satellite office (the school room).
  • 9:30 a.m. - Log into Read Write Muse and begin my checklist and blog duties.
  • 10 a.m. - Log into The Realm and begin my checklist, blog duties, and writing posts.
  • 11 a.m - 11:30 a.m. It's SNACK TIME! I shoot for something that will keep me going (almonds) and refill my Contigo. I get my son a snack and make sure he's on track too.

    At 11:30 a.m. it's time to focus on my COLLEGE assignments. I'm still in the ORANGE zone.

  • 11:30 a.m. - Log into my college blackboard, check the weekly module assignments, and begin with the overview, videos, and reading assignments. If I finish early, I go to the next assignment. If not, the rest of the week will be for written assignments, projects, and final essays. (I also cheat and include my afternoon workout by reading/studying while using my Stamina In-Motion.)

    Lunch & Homeschool check.

  • 1:30 - 2 p.m. I fix our lunch, we sit down together, and we go over any school work that needs my attention. If everything is completed and my son doesn't need any specific help, he's free to go play after lunch.

    Now, I'm in the YELLOW zone again, and all I really want to do is take an afternoon siesta, but it's time to move on to what I call "N-PB-R".


    I move back to my desk, bringing the Stamina-55 with me, so I can pedal away while I begin the next category: Networking, Platform Building, and Research.
  • 2 - 2:30 p.m. I research articles, blog posts, other websites, books, and anything else I can get my hands on that will help me learn more about networking, marketing, platform building, and using social media/my blog to help me reach my audience.

    WHOO WHOO RED ZONE KICKED IN!

    Something about learning more about the "business" of writing really spurs me to get my butt in gear and get some words on the page. Now, it's time to WRITE.
  • 2:30 - 5:30 p.m. is my WRITING time. I'm in the zone, there's no stopping my creative juices during this period.

    I stop at 5:30 p.m. (even if I don't want to) clean up my office, mark off my daily goals, make notes to myself for the next day, and check my final category "MISC". If nothing needs immediate attention there, I turn off the lights, shutting the door behind me.

    I give myself a pat on the back for completing a ten-hour workday before dinner!

    This is where I check my FitBit stats and do a 2-5 mile walk. Once that's done, I'm done!

    Now, I have the rest of the night with my family.

    Prior to the heat-map method my "work" day was from whatever time I woke up to whatever time I went to bed, trying to work through GRAY zones, procrastinating away my day, being frustrated that I couldn't seem to stay on task, and more than anything wasting my RED hours piddling on Facebook or Pinterest.

    This technique has been more than a time saver. It's been a LIFE SAVER.

    If you'd like to find out more about how this method works, check out the following post:

     
    D.M. Kilgore, The Realm, Am Writing, FitBit, Fitness, College Life, Criminology, Balance Life Work and Family, Fit Writer, Ian Sommerhaulder Approves-Ha!, Just Write, Just Walk, Just Study, Just DO IT, Heat Map, Hot Zone, Productivity, Tipsy Tuesday, Writer Tips, A Day In The Life, A Writer's Day, 20k Steps! Bringing The Heat- A Secret Look At A Day In The Hot Zone by D.M. Kilgore

    Double Your Word Count
    (and so much more)
    By Knowing You're Hot!

     

Bonus: Here's My "Secret Survival Supplies" List:









I'm back on track. Too bad I can't say the same for my house.

I guess I'll work on that.

 

• ○ • YOUR TURN! • ○ •


What are your favorite "balancing act" tips, secret weapons, or supplies?

 

Sharing is Caring and Commenters are Winners.


D.M. Kilgore, The Realm, Am Writing, FitBit, Fitness, College Life, Criminology, Balance Life Work and Family, Fit Writer, Ian Sommerhaulder Approves-Ha!, Just Write, Just Walk, Just Study, Just DO IT, Heat Map, Hot Zone, Productivity, Tipsy Tuesday, Writer Tips, A Day In The Life, A Writer's Day, 20k Steps! Bringing The Heat- A Secret Look At A Day In The Hot Zone by D.M. Kilgore, February Prize Pack, Ghirardelli, Giveaway, Top Commenter
Top Commenter For February Wins A Ghirardelli Goodie Pack!

Comment below, subscribe above, and show me some love.
You'll be automatically entered for a chance to win a monthly prize pack when you do.

 

 

D.M. Kilgore, Writer, Literary Hitwoman, Crash Test Dummy, Blog, The Realm, The Realm of D.M. Kilgore, February Prize Pack, Ghirardelli, Giveaway, Top Commenter,D.M. Kilgore, The Realm, Am Writing, FitBit, Fitness, College Life, Criminology, Balance Life Work and Family, Fit Writer, Just Write, Just Walk, Just Study, Just DO IT, Heat Map, Hot Zone, Productivity, Tipsy Tuesday, Writer Tips, A Day In The Life, A Writer's Day, 20k Steps! Bringing The Heat- A Secret Look At A Day In The Hot Zone by D.M. Kilgore
D.M. Kilgore
Writer, Literary Hitwoman, and Crash Test Dummy.

I'm D.M. Kilgore. 

 

Writer, Literary Hitwoman, and Crash Test Dummy. 

 

I hope if you're struggling to balance it all today's post will be just the thing you need to get you back on track and better still in tune with your personal heat index!
I have benefited so much from this method already. I hope you will too. I'll keep you posted on how this method continues to work (or not) for me. Oh, and if I figure out the secret for a clean house... you'll be the first to know.

Visit often! This site is updated with new content at least three days a week (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday). Sometimes you'll find me here on Tipsy Tuesday or Thriller Thursday. I might even share my Saturday Shenanigans.


Subscribe today and you'll never miss out!

 

 Life's A Collision Course

Brace For Impact!
D.M. Kilgore, Writer, Official Website, Phoenix Realm Publishing, The Realm Blog, The Realm of D.M. Kilgore, Writer, Author. Literary Hitwoman, The Realm of D.M. Kilgore, D.M. Kilgore, The Realm, Am Writing, FitBit, Fitness, College Life, Criminology, Balance Life Work and Family, Fit Writer, Ian Sommerhaulder Approves-Ha!, Just Write, Just Walk, Just Study, Just DO IT, Heat Map, Hot Zone, Productivity, Tipsy Tuesday, Writer Tips, A Day In The Life, A Writer's Day, 20k Steps! Bringing The Heat- A Secret Look At A Day In The Hot Zone by D.M. Kilgore
© 2015 D.M. Kilgore A Phoenix Realm Publication
Content cannot be copied, reprinted, reproduced
or used in any way without the express permission of D.M. Kilgore. 
All work on this website and companion blog are copyright protected
and unless otherwise stated are the sole property of
D.M. Kilgore and Phoenix Realm Publishing

All Rights Reserved



No comments :

Post a Comment

Greetings Realm-Rider! Thank you for hopping aboard the crazy train. I applaud your curiosity and courage. You have reached your destination: The Realm of D.M. Kilgore. There's lots to see and even more to do. Don't forget to grab a crash helmet! Oh, and before you go, let me know about your visit! Drop me a comment, question, or just let me know where your journey began. Don't just lurk in the shadows! Leave me a comment! You're automatically entered to win a prize when you do.