Life's a collision course and I'm a crash test dummy.
Brace for impact!
Join me on a kamikaze run through life as we break down the barriers that keep us from reaching our goals.
Together we will dream more, learn more, do more, and become more on a whirlwind journey of personal discovery and development.

IMPORTANT:

Bookmark my blog because new content is added daily!

Monday, January 26, 2015

What Goes On Behind Closed Doors?

To door or not to door, that is the question.

Work From Home?
Artist? Writer?
I NEED Your Help!

 

Today's Monday Musing is brought to you by the letter "D"

 

As in "door"

 

As in how important is it for your office/writing/art room to have one?

 

Inquiring minds want to know.


Do you have a place where you can shut yourself away from the world?



Here's my predicament. I have my lovely little scriptorium-- My Realm. It's the room at the farthest corner of our home. It has a nice door that I can close to shut out the world beyond. There is no lock on said door, but I've posted a "do not disturb" sign which works quite well.

No lock? Hang a monster on the door. Problem solved.

We also have a lovely formal living room with a fireplace. We don't have much use for a formal living room so for the past decade it has served as our school room. It's a large room with a picture window. It's also an open room... as in it opens up to the dining/kitchen/family room areas.

In order to curb the distraction during school hours, I decided to put up three large bookcases. They make a nice dividing "wall" between the room and the dining area and offer extra storage and "wall" space. I use the backs as bulletin boards. There is an opening between the bookcases that serves as the "entry" to the school room.

Curse you Pinterest!
Lately, my mind has been pondering the idea of turning the school room into my new Realm. I'm rather obsessed with the thought of my chaise lounge in front of the fireplace. What a cozy spot to read! The picture window is sure to provide some sort of interesting view from which to draw inspiration, right? The room features a large wall that I an use as a story-board. My mind is swirling with all the possibilities.

With only one child currently in school, we don't need such a large school room anymore. Most of his lessons are on the computer. When he does art or writing he does it at the kitchen table. The big room goes unused for most of the day. He might work in there an hour a day tops. All that nice space... wasted... waiting for a better purpose.

The only draw back I see to having my writing realm in the lovely room is that there is no door. 

How important is a door? I would be able to hear all the goings on in the rest of the house, but I do have nice headphones that will alleviate that issue. How likely is my family to respect this is my "area" and my "time" without a door? I'm not sure.

I venture off at least once a day to stand in the middle of the room and envision it as my scriptorium. Is it my gypsy blood needing to "move" and "change" scenery? Or am I actually onto something that will make me more productive? I have no idea. I just have this urge. The trouble with urges, at least in my case, is they're usually just procrastination in disguise. It would take days to move the Realm and relocate the school curriculum...

And the big "it will never work" for me is: There's no door. No wall either- just the bookcases. The space would be much more open to noise and distractions. I'm just not sure it will work.

Stephen King seems to think a door is the one thing a writer needs most:

 

photo credit: brainpickings.org


I agree that as a writer I need a private place to dream, to think, and to write. No one needs to know what's going on behind my closed door until I want them to. A door is kind of a valuable asset to privacy.

But the lovely room and all its possibilities calls to me like a siren song. Door or no door, I'm drawn to the space and the idea of it as my perfect little writing world.

So, I come to you with the BIG question of the week:



Is a door a necessary in your writing/work-from-home/office/artist life?

Where do you write/work/art now? Is there a door?

 

What do you think?


Tell me about your space! 

Does a door makes a difference?

 

Have an idea on how to make a door-less/wall-less room more private?
Tell me in the comments below! I just know you have a great idea to share!


 

D.M. Kilgore
I'm D.M. Kilgore, coming to you from The Realm which has a door. For now. Should I come to you from a Realm without a door?

Maybe you can help me decide! 

Tell me about your space and the importance (or not) of a door in a comment below. 

If you comment and subscribe to The Realm (see the very top right of the blog for the "subscribe to" box) you will automatically be entered to win January's Prize Pack featuring teas, candies, and two autographed books! It's easy to enter! 

I hope to hear from you today!

2 comments :

Amber E. Box said...

This is a difficult decision, for sure! My writing space is in my living room. Yup. A desk and bookshelf set up right behind the sofa, smack dab in the middle of chaos. Unfortunately for me, I don't have the luxury of being behind closed doors for writing- not because I don't have the space but because I have 3 kiddos to watch over endlessly. In the evening, when my husband is home and the kids are down- it is quite and I have no problem working with no door. In the day time, it is not so much the door I need as it is a sitter to help me during working hours. In fact, I am not sure that I would like being entirely closed off- I would probably still keep my door open if I had one. That is just me though.
Now, to makeover my own space...

DM Kilgore said...

I definitely wouldn't want to be behind a closed door with so many little ones to watch over! I try not to write when the grand baby is here. I do that when he goes to sleep... in the office... where I normally write. LOL

Post a Comment

Greetings Realm-Rider! Thank you for hopping aboard the crazy train. I applaud your curiosity and courage. You have reached your destination: The Realm of D.M. Kilgore. There's lots to see and even more to do. Don't forget to grab a crash helmet! Oh, and before you go, let me know about your visit! Drop me a comment, question, or just let me know where your journey began. Don't just lurk in the shadows! Leave me a comment! You're automatically entered to win a prize when you do.