Life's a collision course and I'm a crash test dummy.
Brace for impact!
Join me on a kamikaze run through life as we break down the barriers that keep us from reaching our goals.
Together we will dream more, learn more, do more, and become more on a whirlwind journey of personal discovery and development.

IMPORTANT:

Bookmark my blog because new content is added daily!

Saturday, January 3, 2015

Goal Setting For Slackers

Don't quit! No matter how impractical your dreams are! D.M. Kilgore, The Realm, Deterimination, Goal Setting For Slackers
Determination.

"Resolutions are just goals
with a side of determination."

~LaDonna D. Cole

 

Wise words from a wise author!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

D.M. Kilgore, The Realm, Dear Bloody Diary, Goal Setting For Slackers

 

January 3, 2015
Saturday Shenanigans

 

D.M. Kilgore, The Realm, Dear Bloody Diary, Goal Setting For Slackers, Writer Cam
Well, it's an improvement from yesterday.
Morning Writer Cam

 I don't want to make anyone jealous, but I totally woke up with 80's hair.  

 

Strange. I watched Saturday Night Fever before falling asleep


Waking up with the Bee Gees on my mental radio made this rainy, cold, blah Saturday a little more bearable. I almost did the Hustle while pouring my morning tea. 


D.M. Kilgore, The Realm, Dear Bloody Diary, Goal Setting For Slackers, Do The Hustle!
Almost...

My back just isn't ready for disco yet.


Saturdays need a theme. I've decided to go with "Shenanigans". I like the idea of incorporating a little silly, high-spirited mischief into my weekend. Things are getting way too routine around here for my Gypsy heart. Routine is great for work, but not so much for play. At least, that's my take on it.

Anyhoo, before we play, let's talk business. I want to talk about goals a little bit today. I love what LaDonna had to say about goals and resolutions. Don't you?

My goal-a-day plan is working out nicely so far.

Writing my goals down each day has been a really good reminder of what I hope to accomplish this year. I'm a notorious slacker though, so having just one new goal each day makes it all seem a little less overwhelming. 

The most important aspect of my goal setting has been to see each one as a building block. Each one ends with the question "how?" which leads to the next goal.

But... there's a little problem with my goals.


They aren't

Are your goals SMART? D.M. Kilgore, The Realm, Dear Bloody Diary, Goal Setting For Slackers, SMART goals.
Are Your Goals SMART?
iStock Photos


Did you know there's a SMART way to set goals? 

 

It's true. Having SMART goals is critical to reaching them successfully! My induction into the National Society of Leadership and Success taught me how to set goals the SMART way.

 

A S.M.A.R.T. goal is defined as one that is:

 
Are your goals SMART? D.M. Kilgore, The Realm, Dear Bloody Diary, Goal Setting For Slackers, SMART goals.
Are Your Goals SMART?
iStock Photos

 

Specific: Avoid generalities! Your goal should have specific details so you know what you’re achieving.

Measurable: Make sure you have solid criteria for establishing your progress toward your goal.

Achievable: It doesn’t have to be simple or easy, but it should be within the realm of reality.

Relevant: Your goal must be something that is rewarding, meaningful, and worthwhile.

Time-Bound: Having specific dates for beginning and finishing goals keeps you on track.
 
 

Common Mistakes To Avoid

 
 
Don't make these common mistakes! D.M. Kilgore, The Realm, Dear Bloody Diary, Goal Setting For Slackers, SMART goals.
Uh Oh!
iStock Photos
 
 
Hmm... 
 
My goals (so far) this year are:
 
  1. Stop letting my current reality determine the size of my dreams.
    (HOW?)
  2. Start organizing my life around my writing, instead of my writing around my life.
    (HOW?)
  3. Manage my time.
    (HOW?)
See the problem? I do. They aren't specific. They are good general goals, but they aren't SMART goals. Goals that aren't SMART have potential, but that's about it.
 
If I hope to accomplish anything this year, I'll need SMART goals. After I make each of my goals specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and time-bound, I can move on to the next step.

The Plan

 

The Plan of Action! D.M. Kilgore, The Realm, Dear Bloody Diary, Goal Setting For Slackers, SMART goals.
SMART Goals = A smart action plan!
iStock Photos

 

I'll be using the following worksheet to help me revise my goals:


Goal:

_____________________________________________________________


1.  Specific. What will the goal accomplish? How and why will it be accomplished? 
2. Measurable. How will you measure whether or not the goal has been reached? 
3. Achievable. Is it possible? Have others done it successfully? Do you have the necessary knowledge, skills, abilities, and resources to accomplish the goal? Will meeting the goal challenge you without defeating you? 
4. Relevant. What is the reason, purpose, or benefit of accomplishing the goal? What is the result of the goal? 
5. Time-bound. What is the established completion date and does that completion date create a practical sense of urgency?

Revised Goal: 


 _____________________________________________________________


YOU CAN DO IT! D.M. Kilgore, The Realm, Dear Bloody Diary, Goal Setting For Slackers, SMART goals.
You Can Do It!

Bam. Just like that, I have my "to do" list for the day.

 

But Wait...

Before I Get To Work


Saturday Shenanigans: After I finish my work today, I'm going to drive over to the pawn shop and sell three of my DVDs. I'm going to find a total stranger in the shop and ask them to pick me out a movie, any movie they think I'll like just by looking at me. No matter what it is, I'm going to buy it and watch it tonight. I can't wait to see what happens. *Giggle-Giggle-Snort*
 
 

Share Your Craziest Shenanigan!

 

Comment Below!

Subscribe & Comment for your chance to win!
Win Win Win!

Subscribe To The Realm Today & Comment Below
to be entered for a chance to win this month's prize pack!

 

 

I'm D.M. Kilgore, and I really do own a brush and mascara!
D.M. Kilgore


I'm D.M. Kilgore, and this is The Realm.
 

 

You'll find a daily dose of me here, every dag-um day.


I hope you enjoyed your visit and learned how to
create, plan, and achieve your own SMART goals!

Tune in tomorrow to see how mine turned out.


 

 

When I'm not rambling about here, you can catch my monthly series at 

Read Write Muse

The Muse's Mirror on the 11th of each month
and The Conscious Dreamer on the 27th of each month

 


2 comments :

ellamedler said...

You've just reminded me of the reason why I love your blog so much! :) And thank you for the kick where it was needed. A very fulfilling year to you!
Ella xxx

DM Kilgore said...

Thank you so much Ella! I'm so happy to hear you enjoy my blog. May this year provide you with a kick where it's needed and all that you wish for. LOL =) Thanks for being a Realmer!

Post a Comment

Greetings Realm-Rider! Thank you for hopping aboard the crazy train. I applaud your curiosity and courage. You have reached your destination: The Realm of D.M. Kilgore. There's lots to see and even more to do. Don't forget to grab a crash helmet! Oh, and before you go, let me know about your visit! Drop me a comment, question, or just let me know where your journey began. Don't just lurk in the shadows! Leave me a comment! You're automatically entered to win a prize when you do.