Life's a collision course and I'm a crash test dummy.
Brace for impact!
Join me on a kamikaze run through life as we break down the barriers that keep us from reaching our goals.
Together we will dream more, learn more, do more, and become more on a whirlwind journey of personal discovery and development.

IMPORTANT:

Bookmark my blog because new content is added daily!

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Thoughtful Thursday ~ Valentine's Day



It's that day... the one where new lovers are just a little bit more in love, old lovers rekindle that "new love" feeling, and the single folks buy themselves a chocolate bar and poke fun at all the lovey-dovey silliness going on around them.  It's the day that you either love or hate.  There doesn't seem to be a lot of middle ground.  I suppose some people are on the fence, but most have picked a side and they are sticking to it.

Me?  Oh, I like Valentine's Day just fine, but I don't expect anything.  If my husband should surprise me with flowers or candy, I'd be delighted... shocked.



Okay, truth is I'd be thankful and just a bit (secretly) disappointed that after almost two decades together... he still hasn't figured out the way to my heart is through books, writing supplies, and quirky novelties.

I'm not going to stress over it though.  Like I said, I'm not expecting anything... and neither is he.

It's just not something we've done much of since our first couple of married years.  Life became about the kids.  We do for them and outside of that the attitude is, "It's just another day... no biggie."

I'm finding myself a bit torn this year.  It's a shame that we've let ourselves stop caring about surprising each other with thoughtfulness.  On the flip-side, it's kind of a shame that we'd wait for a "special" holiday to show each other how we feel. 

Some of my friends have been talking about "having" to buy their significant other a gift.  It's clear they see it as more of a chore than a thoughtful kindness to show their affections.

In my perfect fantasy world, my husband and I would treat every day like Valentine's Day. 

Not only that, but we'd treat the kids that way too.  Every single day that we are gifted with, each moment that we have to enjoy being with our family, is a special blessing, and should be approached that way.



So, on this Thoughtful Thursday, my plan is to do the unexpected.  I'm going to give gifts.

Specifically, I'm going to give the gift of time.  I'm sure that when I make my announcement I'll be met with resistance, fear of the new and unknown, and possibly, "ugh do we have to?"  But that's okay, I'm going for it, and I'm not taking "no" for an answer!

I've wanted to incorporate date nights into our marriage for a while now.  I'm going to one-up this by including parent/child date night's (or days) as well.  THAT is my unexpected gift to my family.

Time flies by and children grow so fast...  My youngest just turned ten.  A decade with my baby boy, gone in a flash.  We can't really slow the passing of time, but we can be sure that we cherish each passing minute and make it count!

I've made jars full of "dates" for us to do as hubby/wife, dad/son, mom/son, and as a family.  I've come up with a crafty schedule to keep it all on track, and to allow it not to become overwhelming (time or finance wise).  Every other week is "date" night.  We'll alternate dates so that we end up doing a hubby/wife, a parent/child (alternating which parent), and a family date each month.

I'll present these jars and calendars over an unexpected family dinner-- including candlelight and music.

If met with too much resistance, I'll just guilt them all for not getting me chocolates and insist this is the only way they can make it up to me.  I'm evil like that. Bwahaha!




On this Thoughtful Thursday ~ Valentine's Day, I want to know:

What's your tradition?  

Do you date night?
Do you flower & candy?
Do you Valentine or Just Another Day?
Do you celebrate with your lover? bestie? kids?

All of the above?


If you don't have one, I challenge you to think of
ONE way to give the most thoughtful gift of all to the ones you love...

TIME.

 


Comment Below! 
I'll pick a random winner and try to send you a thoughtful prize that fits in with your tradition!

*Winners will be announced on Fun Friday*



No comments :

Post a Comment

Greetings Realm-Rider! Thank you for hopping aboard the crazy train. I applaud your curiosity and courage. You have reached your destination: The Realm of D.M. Kilgore. There's lots to see and even more to do. Don't forget to grab a crash helmet! Oh, and before you go, let me know about your visit! Drop me a comment, question, or just let me know where your journey began. Don't just lurk in the shadows! Leave me a comment! You're automatically entered to win a prize when you do.