Life's a collision course and I'm a crash test dummy.
Brace for impact!
Join me on a kamikaze run through life as we break down the barriers that keep us from reaching our goals.
Together we will dream more, learn more, do more, and become more on a whirlwind journey of personal discovery and development.

IMPORTANT:

Bookmark my blog because new content is added daily!

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

My Amusing Muses & New Daily Doses

Do you remember the movie "It's A Wonderful Life"?  I happen to love Jimmy Stewart and it is one of my favorite Christmas movies. 
*DM Trivia:  My mother named me after Donna Reed.
*  But I digress. 

You know that part in Wonderful Life where George says to Clarence: "Well, you look about the kind of angel I'd get. Sort of a fallen angel, aren't you? What happened to your wings?"



Well, I feel that way about my muses.  Just my luck... One is Cybil and the other is Dori. 

 Cybil can't seem to decide if she wants to inspire me to write the most gruesome serial killer story ever published or the story of Fluffy Bunny Fru-Fru's Candyland Adventures.

Sometimes she thinks I would really love to write my life story and other times she thinks it would be great if I'd tackle rewriting the dictionary in Pig Latin.

Cybil likes to show up when I've fallen face first into my bed, exhausted, and thinking of how great eight solid hours of sleep will be.

Dori is a bit more consistent.  She shows up daily.  Several hundred times daily.  Nine times out of ten, she has no idea why she's here.  She smiles and waves and sings: "Just Keep Writing, Just Keep Writing..."  Then she looks around and asks me who I am, who she is, and if I've seen Elmo.  The sad part is that I'll stop writing and help her look for him.

Sometimes, when I really, really want to write...

Dori invites Cybil on a girl's night out.  They always forget to include me.  I'm left to sit home, alone, staring at the blank screen and blinking cursor.



The only thing that is truly consistent about my amusing muses is that they show up at the most inappropriate and random moments!  I've learned the hard way that they are both back-seat drivers.  Dori thinks she is a shampoo technician.  Cybil likes to torment me while I'm sleeping, studying, or cooking a meal that requires intense focus.

As you can imagine, having such amusingly inconsistent and incoherent muses leaves me too much time to fiddle around when I should be writing. 

Want to know how I amuse myself when my muses are being wishy-washy? 

Lucky you. 

I'm going to tell you!  I'm going to keeping a day in the life diary for 2013.  Think of this as my version of Bridget Jones's Diary.  Of course, I'm not British, I don't smoke, don't drink (often), nor do I consider myself an "average" woman (the horror!).  And unlike Bridget, I'm perfectly content with both my age and my man.  However, dear Bridget and I do have some things in common... I do find myself struggling against my weight, my job(s), and my many imperfections. As a New Year's Resolution, Bridget decided to take control of her life, starting by keeping a diary in which she will always tell the complete truth.  I'm going to take a page out of her book (pun intended) and do the same.

I'll be attempting to post here daily from here on out.  Emphasis on attempting.  With enough coffee I'm confident it's possible... in fact, with enough coffee I could probably conquer the world!

FYI:  I want this mug, a lot.  I think I am going to have to order one.  It is currently at the top of my "writer's wacky wishes" wish list.

If you are into that whole sneaking a peek at someone's personal diary then I'm sure you'll be delighted with a Daily Dose of DM.



That said, here's the whole truth and nothing but the truth...

Tuesday, January 1, 20123 (How many of you did this  today?)
Home. Thing 2's room. 11:56 pm. 

65lb foster dog hogging kid's bed. I'm borrowing kid's desk area. Kid is sniffing my foot.
(Why? I do not know.)

Weight: 208 lbs... post falling off the Lose It wagon, as well as Thanksgiving and Christmas feasting, and let's not forget that I had to help my father with that 3lb box of Whitman's Chocolates.  (Since when is a 3lb box of chocolates a "sampler"?)

Food Consumed:  Copious amounts of coffee (heavy on the Gourmet French Vanilla), bagel with industrial sized spoonfuls of cream cheese (not the light kind either).  I made up for the morning indulgence by having a half-salad, baked potato, and water for lunch.  Then for dinner I had angel hair pasta with marinara sauce, a side salad, a slice of garlic bread, and sweet tea... carb-loading without realizing the err of my ways until I inputted the calories into Lose It.  I was smart on my snacking and had only a Clementine orange.

Daily Calorie Budget: 1,200 / Net calories so far today: 1,270 (So close... gah!)

Exercise:  I wonder... does running my mouth and typing (fast) apply? Probably not, so let's go with some light housework and vacuuming.  Calories Burned:  114


The Truth:

I haven't used Lose It since early November.  I also haven't done my daily-morning-weigh in since then.  So, today I stepped on the scale and scared the poo out of my dear husband who was showering only a foot away. 

I am not sure if I've ever yelled at the scale before.  Today it got an earful.  I've regained 11 lbs of the 30 I lost.  Not happy.  I'm henceforth calling the scale "Honey Boo Boo", as I am thoroughly disgusted with it.

Of course, logically, I know I have no one to blame but myself...

And those evil chocolate factories. 

On a lighter note, night one is winding to a close and I have not given into my nasty habit of late night snacking.  Not a morsel, nary a crumb, since 7pm.  (Disregard that rumbling, growling sound.)

It's just past midnight and I've gnawed my finger down by at least two layers of skin instead.

(Snacking while writing is my Achilles heel, don't ya know?)

I'm doing this whole mind/body/spirit/relationships/creativity & passion thing.  I blogged about it earlier today.  I am going over my daily doings and realizing that I'll need to work on some areas and better balance my time.  Well, really, what else is new, right?

Tomorrow, I'll work on finding a way to break this new habit of finger gnawing.  I need my fingers.  They are pretty important for that fast typing I'm so fond of.

Today's moment with God: Jesus often withdrew to lonely places for prayer. (Luke 5:16) When my life becomes too noisy and too busy, it's okay for me to withdraw to a quiet place where I can regain clarity and focus so that I may hear God's voice again.  I need to find such a lonely, quiet place all my own...  I'm thinking a prayer garden of sorts would be lovely.

Time with family and/or friends:  Hubby, Thing 2, and I traveled to McDonald to look at a couple of cars.  Hubby is having a mid-life crisis and all that that implies.  His lusting is for something made in the 70's, with four wheels, a manual transmission, and some horsepower.  I'm just glad it's not for something made in the 90's with pouty lips and two long legs.  Like one of my favorite childhood stories said, "It could be worse!" (Giggle)  Time with friends... as usual that was limited to Facebook.  I really must try harder to be social. 

Word Count Goal: 2,500 / Actual Word Count: 2,822 (whoop!)

Currently Reading:  Havah, by Tosca Lee (Chapter 1); Bible: Genesis 1:1-2:25, Matthew 1:-2:12, Psalm 1:1-6, Proverbs 1:1-6; Thing 2 and I are diving back into the Magic Tree House Series for our "bedtime story".  We're on book three, Mummies In The Morning (Chapter 3).

Bible Study:  Beth Moore's Daniel (Week 6)

It's now 1:02 am.  I'll let you guess at how many interruptions it took to make it take this long to finish this post.

*SIGH*

I'm failing at that earlier to bed earlier to rise already.  Shocking, isn't it?


How was your first day of this new year?  

Comment below and I'll choose a random winner for a random prize!
*You must follow my blog to be eligible to win*



2 comments :

Linnette R Mullin said...

My first day of the year... I slept til 11 which was 10 in the time zone I returned from. I got up and made omelets for the fam, caught up on Facebook, and continued doing laundry. I also finished a book I'd been reading. I'm trying to find my brain. I seemed to have lost it somewhere along the trip. I'm hoping it's in one of the bags or boxes I brought home after emptying our MO house. Must. Find. Brain!

DM Kilgore said...

I have a feeling your brain and my brain have taken off for Vegas! ;)

What book did you finish? I've just started Tosca Lee's "Havah"... amazing. She's such a beautiful writer!

Post a Comment

Greetings Realm-Rider! Thank you for hopping aboard the crazy train. I applaud your curiosity and courage. You have reached your destination: The Realm of D.M. Kilgore. There's lots to see and even more to do. Don't forget to grab a crash helmet! Oh, and before you go, let me know about your visit! Drop me a comment, question, or just let me know where your journey began. Don't just lurk in the shadows! Leave me a comment! You're automatically entered to win a prize when you do.