Life's a collision course and I'm a crash test dummy.
Brace for impact!
Join me on a kamikaze run through life as we break down the barriers that keep us from reaching our goals.
Together we will dream more, learn more, do more, and become more on a whirlwind journey of personal discovery and development.

IMPORTANT:

Bookmark my blog because new content is added daily!

Friday, January 4, 2013

Cybil... err SYBIL Strikes Again!

Before I get ahead of myself...


Someone pointed out the error of my use of Cybil to describe my muse who seems to suffer from multiple personality disorder.  I was referring to the character from the 1973 book by Flora Rheta Schreiber, which is titled Sybil.  My bad. 

From now on Cybil will be properly called Sybil

Thanks reader for the prompt action to correct my error!


  

 

Now then...


Sybil strikes again.  She really does seem to enjoy early morning drives.  She popped into my Blazer about 9 am this morning yelling, "Shotgun!"  I'm not a morning person so I just gave her the "don't make me kill you" glare.  Naturally, she ignored me and launched into her latest scheme to start me on another novel.  I threw her my usual, "No Sybil, I must finish the book I've started first.  We can go over your crazy ideas when I get to the part where I type 'the end', okay?"  


I turned up the radio in an attempt to drown her out.  She was sure yacking it up!

Several minutes later, she was still poking me with persistent ideas and I was rapidly thawing to the idea.  She was onto something.  Something good.  I dug through my purse in search of my legal pad and pen.  It wasn't there.  I dug around for a notebook, notepad, post it notes, index cards... anything.  Nothing. 

I forgot to replenish my emergency writing supplies again!


Luckily, there is a Dollar General right by the doctor's office.  I hurried in, counted out enough spare change for a notepad, and hurried back to the car.  (Don't tell anyone but I've rushed into Dollar General's all over the country for this very purpose. You'd think by now I'd remember to always have a notebook stashed in the car, my bag, etc.)I began ferociously scribbling notes at which point Thing 2 chimed in from the backseat, "Mom!  We're going to be late for my appointment if you keep stopping to write!"

I assured him that Dr. D. knew I was a writer and was totally cool with my being late in the name of creative passion.  He quipped something about "that makes two of us" and praised Jesus that he had his DS to keep him busy.  Silly boy.  Oh, how I love that kid.

Anyhoo... we headed over to the doctor's office with two minutes to spare.  Sybil happens to be a germaphobe and decided to stay out in the car.  I was on my own.  After signing Thing 2 in for his appointment I continued to scribble notes and ideas. When the nurse called him back I was still jotting down notes.  When she had him step on the scale I was balancing his DS, my bag, and trying to write in midair.  I barely took note of his height and weight and kept on writing.  I was still at it when Dr. D. came in the room.  She took one look at me, grinned and said, "Still at it I see!" 

Ah yes, she knows me well.  She then reminded me that she'd love to beta read and edit my work, and the work of any of my writer friends.  Coolest Dr. EVER, right?

I put the notepad away long enough to talk medical issues and Thing 2's progress.  I'm not a terrible mother after all... just a writer.  All went well and we were back on the road in no time.  I continued to sift ideas around in my head as I drove an couldn't wait to get home and being outlining.


 And Outline I Did!

I had a basic synopsis and plot outline done in just over five minutes!  With my "map" in hand I went to my friends, family, and fellow writers and began asking for anyone who reads a lot of Young Adult to give me a friendly wave.  I wanted to be sure my idea was as epically original as I hoped.  I got good input.  No one has read anything quite like what I'm thinking.  I then Googled and Imdb'd the story concept and came up with only one series that had the same theme but found it to be very different than what I plan to write.  This was like a big GREEN light saying, GO!

I haven't been this excited about writing in a long time.  I didn't want to stop for dinner.  I didn't want to write this blog tonight.  I don't want to sleep.  I want to flesh out my characters and determine the setting.  I want to write a more in depth outline.  I want to start telling this story!

 If you'd told me a week ago I'd drop my current WIP to begin a new book I'd have laughed in your face.  If you'd told me that book would be in a completely foreign genre I'd have suggested a good psychiatrist for you. 

Low and behold, I've put Final Judgment to the side and flung myself into the world of Young Adult Fantasy/Paranormal. 

I know!  I'm shocked about it too!  Delighted... but shocked! 
I never, ever thought this would be a path I'd take willingly.


For those of you that have been anticipating the completion of Final Judgment, don't panic.  I still plan to finish it.  It needs some restructuring and I need to go on two research trips.  I will be completing it though.  It is a story I still want to tell.

I just have to take action when an idea wriggles into my heart and makes me this excited.  I cannot wait to get this thing going and share bits and pieces with you as it develops!  Not to toot my own horn but I happen to think this is a very good story idea. 


That said, here's your Daily Dose of DM
The whole truth and nothing but the truth!


Thursday, January 3, 2013
Home. Living room. 1:57 am. 

And all through the house, not a creature is stirring... except for the writer.


Weight: 208 lbs... still.

Food Consumed:  Copious amounts of coffee (heavy on the Gourmet French Vanilla), bagel with industrial sized spoonfuls of cream cheese (not the light kind either). I skipped lunch... too busy with my new story idea to stop and eat.  I did make myself stop long enough for dinner- grilled chicken with pasta salad and corn on the cob.

Daily Calorie Budget: 1,200 / Net calories: 1,054 (whoop!)

Exercise: Kidney stone/ sciatica prevented much more than running the vacuum over the living room and kitchen floor.  114 calories burned.

The Truth:

Tonight's blog is being brought to you by Vicodin... again. It's all about the new story idea though so whoo hoo and yippeeeee!

Today's moment with God:  I have been focusing on letting go of the past (completely) and stepping totally into the new thing that God is doing for me, in me, and through me.  

God has a plan. The plan of God is to prosper you and to give you peace. 


In order for God to fulfill His plan in you ... you have to be willing to let all the other stuff go.

I'm so ready to "let go and let God"... aren't you?

Time with family and/or friends:  Uh... I was in the writing zone.  I did have some good times and laughs with Thing 2... before i got in the zone.  Thing 1 and Hubby had their own things going on tonight anyway.  (We're all slipping on the whole family time thing. Will have to work on that!)

Word Count Goal: 2,500 / Actual Word Count: 4,573 (in the zone!)

Currently Reading: 

Havah
, by Tosca Lee (Chapter 3) Fascinated!!!

Don't Say A Word by Beverly Barton (Chapter 4) Didn't make any progress here today.

Bible: Genesis 5:1-7:24, Matthew 3:7-4:11, Psalm 3:1-8, Proverbs 1:10-19

Thing 2 and I are still reading the Magic Tree House Series, by Mary Pope Osborne.  We're still on book three, Mummies In The Morning (Chapter 5).

Bible Study:  Beth Moore's Daniel (Week 6)

It's now 2:42 am. 

I really want to pull an all-night-write...

Where were you the last time inspiration struck? 

Did it come like a lighting bolt, knocking you off your feet?

Or was it a gently butterfly lighting on your shoulder?



*** I'll pick a random winner for a random prize this week.  All you have to do is follow the blog and comment below for a chance to win! ***

No comments :

Post a Comment

Greetings Realm-Rider! Thank you for hopping aboard the crazy train. I applaud your curiosity and courage. You have reached your destination: The Realm of D.M. Kilgore. There's lots to see and even more to do. Don't forget to grab a crash helmet! Oh, and before you go, let me know about your visit! Drop me a comment, question, or just let me know where your journey began. Don't just lurk in the shadows! Leave me a comment! You're automatically entered to win a prize when you do.