Life's a collision course and I'm a crash test dummy.
Brace for impact!
Join me on a kamikaze run through life as we break down the barriers that keep us from reaching our goals.
Together we will dream more, learn more, do more, and become more on a whirlwind journey of personal discovery and development.

IMPORTANT:

Bookmark my blog because new content is added daily!

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A New Year Of New Opportunities

Whoo Hoo & Happy New Year!


Wait...  New Year?

 

Wow.
That was fast. 
The older I get
the faster time seems to fly! 

This will surely be my New Year's ensemble for 2014 at this rate!

But, let us not dwell on the turbo-boosted aging process, and instead set our sights on the good things that a new year brings.  No, no, I'm not talking resolutions.  Does anyone really keep those things?  Don't get me wrong... I resolve to do things, but I refuse to call them "resolutions".  For me, that's a sure fire way to shoot myself in the foot before I even get out of the gate!  I make promises to myself instead.  I hate breaking promises.  This gives me an advantage from day one.  I'll kill myself trying to keep a promise!

This year I've promised to make more time for what's most important...
And to somehow simplify my terribly complex life!

 

I started by making a list of specific things I want to work on.

 

1. Finish my novel… and all that that implies.

2. Get back on “Lose It” and finish what I started – 30lbs gone, but I still have 25 to go.

3. I rescued 45 dogs in the last 6 months. I’d like to double that number this year.

4. Write more than the “novel”. I’d like to write a book on homeschooling and autism.

5. Make time in my life for my family/friends. Locking myself away to write is necessary but we all   need some sunlight and human contact.

6. Strengthen my relationship with my hubby- date nights, mandatory.

7. Do the same with my kids, a one-on-one “fun date” with each child.

8. Spend more time with my parents.

9. WORRY ABOUT NOTHING.

10. PRAY ABOUT EVERYTHING.


The trick is accomplishing this list while still managing to keep it simple.


I pondered how to simplify my promises as I sat scribbling them all down on a legal pad, crossing off ideas, and calculating how many hours in the day divided by how many worthy causes and  responsibilities.






How will I accomplish this? 

 

Each of my promises pertains to a specific area of my life.  Overall, I’d like to continue developing myself as a writer, a wife, a mother, a daughter, a follower of Christ… and as a human being.

I came across this picture online:



This was the inspiration behind what I am calling my "Life Journal".

I have started a three-ring binder and divided it into five sections: mind, body, spirit, relationships, and creativity/passion.

Each day I will set a goal for each section based on my list of promises to myself for the new year. 

Some goals are listed daily- writing 2,500 words, two-hours of studying, 30 minutes to an hour working out daily... but for each day I will also add one new goal to those "set in stone".  I plan to journal about the goal, make notes of things that inspire me that day, and list positive things that keep me motivated.  I will add prayers, song lyrics, photos, reminders, or whatever I feel needs to go in there. 

Essentially, it is a journal of baby steps that result in great changes in myself and the world around me.  It's a new year full of new opportunities and I believe this is my year!



Here’s to an amazing new year!
What are your goals, plans, promises, or resolutions for 2013?

Leave me a comment below and
I will choose one lucky random winner!

Up for grabs:

An exclusive "The Realm" t-shirt!


*Contest Ends Midnight January 7, 2013*
YOU MUST FOLLOW THIS BLOG AND COMMENT TO BE ELIGIBLE TO WIN!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Greetings Realm-Rider! Thank you for hopping aboard the crazy train. I applaud your curiosity and courage. You have reached your destination: The Realm of D.M. Kilgore. There's lots to see and even more to do. Don't forget to grab a crash helmet! Oh, and before you go, let me know about your visit! Drop me a comment, question, or just let me know where your journey began. Don't just lurk in the shadows! Leave me a comment! You're automatically entered to win a prize when you do.