Life's a collision course and I'm a crash test dummy.
Brace for impact!
Join me on a kamikaze run through life as we break down the barriers that keep us from reaching our goals.
Together we will dream more, learn more, do more, and become more on a whirlwind journey of personal discovery and development.

IMPORTANT:

Bookmark my blog because new content is added daily!

Monday, November 5, 2012

The Tower Of Temptation

I have this growing tower in my room.  I call it the Tower Of Temptation.
It whispers seductively, "Read me. Read me. Read me."


This is a strangely alarming situation. You see, I am not that sometimes reader who buys a book, pops it onto the bookshelf to read when I'm bored, and then walks away until a rainy day. I am the voracious reader who has been known to read an entire series cover to cover without stopping to sleep. I'm the woman who prefers books to shoes. I'm the girl that has ditched my friends at the mall to sneak off to the nearest book store. I'm the child reading by flashlight under my covers. I'm the one who watched Disney's "Beauty And The Beast" and didn't want the handsome prince, the love story, or the happily ever after...

 I wanted the fabulous library!

 



So, for me to have a stack-- an ever growing stack of unread books, is not only unusual it's down right unheard of. It began with a single book, then three, then five... and now it's taller than I am. And this is only the physical stack of books. I don't even want to talk about what's gathering dust deep inside my Kindle.


How did this happen?

 

I'm a writer. I write. I write every chance I get. If I have a five minute block of time with nothing to do, I'm writing. Lately, there has been more staring at the blank screen than actual writing. The sudden realization of why hit my like the sky falling.


Yes, I'm Chicken Little and the sky is a sage bit of advice I had forgotten in my determination to finish my book.

“If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.”  -Stephen King




I am "stuck" in my writing because for many months now, I have not so much as picked up a good book! I have taken every spare moment to write and in doing so, I have lost my greatest available tool-- the written word. No one can paint a masterpiece without some inspiration! I cannot work without the proper tools! I have clearly forgotten the joy and more importantly the energizing inspiration that I draw from great books.

I will make the time to read. Simple as that.

Starting tonight I will choose a book from my Tower Of Temptation and it will be getting my undivided attention for at least one hour every night. I will still manage to get in my writing time. I've already put a bulls-eye on an unnecessary activity that I can sacrifice for my love of books. In fact, I'm not sure why I haven't done this sooner.

Oh, here's a little trivia:  As a child my favorite story was Chicken Little. My mother (who I completely credit with my love of reading) read that story to me tirelessly, without complaint, every single time I asked her to. I'm quite sure she wished the sky really would fall by the time I was five. To this day she shudders when I say Henny Penny.

Are you a reader? Are you a writer? Are you a reading writer? I'd like to know. Comment below and tell me your favorite book (as a child, or adult, or both) and let me know when you read and how you make time.

FOLLOW my blog and comment to win!

I'll choose a random winner on Friday (11/9) to win their very own copy of the last book I actually had time to sit down and read cover-to-cover before I got so distracted by my own writing.  Oh, and more trivia: you'll recognize a name (or maybe several) in the acknowledgments. ;)


Up for grabs:

A PERSONALIZED AUTOGRAPHED COPY SIGNED BY THE AUTHOR HIMSELF!!!
(Thank you Mr. Liparulo!!!)


The 13th Tribe by Robert Liparulo




My review:

Immortal Vigilantes? What's not to love!
by D.M. Kilgore


Quality: 
5 out of 5
5
Value: 
5 out of 5
5
Meets Expectations: 
5 out of 5
5
 
Robert Liparulo had me at "Immortal Vigilantes". What a concept! I had to read it, despite my usual tendency to avoid anything dealing with "experimental technology".

Liparulo starts setting the scene from page one with such descriptive precision that the mental images and subsequent cold chills keep you turning the pages... before you know it, you're hooked!

Blending Bible, History, Technology, and the Paranormal seamlessly, Liparulo gives you plenty to think about with his captivating story line and complex characters.

I loved the care that was taken to set up the world in which the story takes place, the attention to detail, the rich history, the pacing. It allowed me to immerse myself into the story. I didn't want to leave this inventive world, but I had to put the book down from time to time in order to catch my breath.

I especially enjoyed the fight scenes. They are intense and written with such exactitude that I felt the need to check myself for blood splatter!

Thrilling with exciting twists, interesting characters, skillful prose, and a solid story interwoven with a strong faith-filled message. This book definitely keeps you inspired and intrigued.

Hard to walk away from that last page and close this book without feeling exhausted and invigorated- all in one pleasurable mix.

Mr. Liparulo, consider my socks blown off.

30 comments :

Stephanie Pazicni Karfelt said...

Luuuuuv, Luuuuurrrrrrvvvvvvv 13th Tribe. I have two copies. No kidding. Am a reader/writer, and I cannot choose one book as a favorite. Even in childhood. My favorite was all the Little House/Box Car/E. Nesbit/Madeline L'Engle/etc. etc. etc. books. Basically the library.
But I have one for you to add to your tower of terror - J. K. Rowling's new book, "The Casual Vacancy". I'm going to go way out on a limb here and say I think it is the best book I've ever read - and the slowest one to get into - but that doesn't deter me from saying that. Brilliant.
And not a chocolate frog in the whole thing.
If you read instead of sleeping - you can polish off those stacks in no time. Just don't operate heavy machinery after.
And don't try to prove you're not a robot after either, because you can't.

Call Me Heretic said...

I have 2 physical copies, and the Kindle version of 13th Tribe.
Honestly, my stack has also been growing. In fact it has grown, overflowed, and mutated into a sentient being that watches me from the corner of my room and stalks my waking moments. I hesitate to pick up a book, because once I get into a story, it captivates my imagination. Though reading books in the genre I'm working on has proven helpful.
And I've already spent a couple hours telling you about books I liked as a kid. I think you get the message. And I don't have a favorite. Maybe top 10 (maybe), but my story is calling me so I don't have time to figure out what they are. Lol

DM Kilgore said...

I actually picked the book up, read the blurb, put it back, picked it up again, put it back again... I guess I'll be going to get a copy of it this weekend. I loved the 13th Tribe as well. I had a little trouble getting my head in the game at first- not my usual genre. Once in, I was IN. Thanks for the tip- I'll be adding one more book to the tower!

DM Kilgore said...

I wasn't aware when I began this "writer's life" that it would pull me away from one of my most loved things- reading. I hope to work out the perfect balance here, but it's proving challenging. I do appreciate all the books you shared with me and my "wish list" is now overflowing much like your sentient being there. LoL

JC Servant said...

To be honest, I read and write in the 'cracks of my life'. That means having books all over the house I can grab and read at anytime. It means having little notebooks and scribbled notes everywhere. It means the house is full of words.

The book which changed me forever was "Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck. The combination of narrative, epic story with alternating chapters of near poetic expression have remained in my heart for decades.

DM Kilgore said...

One of my all time favorite books! I have a hard time with reading multiple books at a time. I sometimes wish my mind worked that way!

Tim Ward said...

Hi DM,
I'm having the same problem. I write during the day (security guard) and on Saturdays. When I get home my brain is exhausted and so I prefer watching tv or movies on Netflix. I'm also struggling to find a book that really interests me. I have the 13th Tribe that Rob gave to the Ragged Edge attendees, but because it was an ARC, I'm afraid to read it and ruin the experience I'd get if I read the final version. One of my favorite books is Wool by Hugh Howey. Michael J. Sullivan's Theft of Swords and T.C. McCarthy's Germline are also in that discussion.

Cheryl Templeton said...

I like John Grisham and Zane Grey, my favorite book so far is The Client.

Princess Lahoma said...

Hi Donna, love you sister blue...

Laurin Boyle said...

Hi DM,
I am going through the same thing right now with my writing - much more staring at the screen than anything else! And I have my own tower of books that never seems to get any smaller. But I do read every night. It's an obsession of mine - I can't sleep unless I've read for at least a few minutes, sometimes hours. Maybe beacuse my Dad's special time with us kids was to read a story to us every night before bed?? My favorite then was "Bunches and Bunches of Bunnies." Now? That's a tough one. Way too many to chose from!! I love me some Jane Austen, but I also easily get lost in Preston & Child. Not to mention how much I liked The 13th Tribe!

DM Kilgore said...

Ah, you know in the version I'm giving away, he gives the RE gang shout outs in the acknowledgements? Very cool. ;) Sometimes my brain is too tired to be engaged in a story, and then I too turn to Netflix. If I really need to sleep, I don't dare pick up a good book. I'm not able to just walk away from an excellent story! I have not read any of your favorites, but am making a note to check them out!

DM Kilgore said...

That was an excellent read! I had a hard time putting that one down and read large chunks at a time. =)

DM Kilgore said...

Much love to you Princess Lahoma! Thanks for visiting the realm! =)

DM Kilgore said...

I love to read at bedtime too, but once I'm wrapped up in the story I have such a hard time putting it down. I have fallen asleep with a book in my hand more times than I can count! I remember "Bunches and Bunches of Bunnies"- fond memories. It's hard for me to choose a favorite as an adult also! I had many favorites as a child but now... so many favorites!

Dawn Standifur said...

Way back when I was in 5th Grade, my Teacher read "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe" by C.S. Lewis to us. I imagined I was going through the wardrobe with the kids and I was hooked on books from then on! So, although I love many, many books ... I have to list that one as my childhood favorite. I LOVE Robert Liparulo's writing style (and especially enjoyed "The 13th Tribe"), never want his books to end, but in the end love how he wraps things up. Can't wait for the next Immortal Files book.

Call Me Heretic said...

Well, once I dig out my stack of kid's books, you're welcome to your choice of titles. ^.^

Bookishqueen said...

I read and write all the time. I write when I have a few hours and read when I have a few minutes or an hour. I have a stack of books piling up because I always buy two when I go to the bookstore, a few when I go on amazon for my kindle, and then get five from the library. With all the books I have read, I have no idea what would be my favorite but I am reading the 13th Tribe right now!

Amanda Dickerson said...

I'm an avid reader. I loved a wrinkle in time as a kid. And of course the Harry porter series. That goes without saying...

DM Kilgore said...

I'm looking forward to the next book in the series too! Oh yes, I LOVED the Narnia books then and still do now. We are doing a series of homeschool lessons centered around them this year! I can remember hiding in closets as kids, hoping, praying that I was in the right one. LoL

DM Kilgore said...

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Books are hard to buy one at a time. I usually leave a bookstore with full arms and empty wallet. =)

DM Kilgore said...

I read the HP series as an adult. I began by reading them to my children, and simply fell in love with the world J.K. created. I finished the series off before my kids had even gotten through book 3. LoL I still enjoy picking them up to read again and again!

Elsie Wilson said...

Not sure i understand the concept of "favourite book"; if pressed, i suppose it would be one of the more recent reads, which right now might mean The Casual Vacancy, or part of the Oxford History of England, or either of a couple of novels i've beta-read recently, or John Wyndham's The Midwich Cuckoos, or..., well you get the idea. Always four or five going at once; and it has to be done every day. Actually, most days i get up at three-thirty for a couple of hours of good reading before anything else.

Love the Stephen King quote, by the way; it is so utterly true.

DM Kilgore said...

Wow Elsie- that is a dedicated reader. I'm typically up at that time writing. You're the second person to recommend Casual Vacancy. I need to pick that one up for sure!

Kelsey-plain and simple said...

Wow look at all these comments! As you know, I follow your blog (props girl. This place is awesome). I love, love LOVE LOVE LOVE LOOOVE the 13th Tribe. I still only have the ARC I managed to get my hands on (secret handshake, head nod, and monkey chatter), and I would love a signed 'official' copy. In fact, I might go all noble and give it to a super sick friend who would enjoy a good read...but I don't know if I could be that selfless. Meh. I think if I tried I could.

As for favorite books, 13th Tribe is one of them. There are many more, including Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (every little girl should read), and Showdown and Skin by the amazing Ted Dekker. I also have to list the impeccable J.K. Rowling in everything she does. Oh and the Hobbit. Oh and the...
I think my list is getting too long. I'll stop. You catch my drift ;)

By the way...totally loved Beauty and the Beast for the library.

Colette said...

I have always been a reader. I was the kid who snuck a flashlight into my room so I could read. Loved the Little House books as well as CS Lewis. My 5th/6th grade teacher introduced me to "The Black Cauldron" and it inspired a love of fantasy that has led me to write my book series. I loved having the ARC of "13th Tribe". I would love to be able to give a signed copy to a sister of one of my former students. Last year Bob was so kind to sign a Dreamhouse King book for every one of my students and they loved it! This sister was a fan long before her brother and sister were. I would love to give it to her for her high school graduation this year.

I read so many different things- it's hard to choose a favorite. I started Ted Dekker's "Sanctuary" and it's good so far. I love YA- so Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, and the Mortal Instruments series are way up there for me.

I love the Stephen King quote and live by it. If I'm not reading, I better not be writing. Part of my scheduled time for writing has to include reading. It' like breathing for me.

DM Kilgore said...

I think every monkey has had that reaction to the library in Beauty and the Beast. I kept thinking, so what if he's hairy and a bit rude at times... just lookie at all those books! Ha! Thank you for following faithfully! It means so much to me!

DM Kilgore said...

Are you excited for the beginning of the movie versions of Mortal Instruments?

Very cool that Mr. L signed books for your students- the man is just awesome inside and outside the covers of his books! I love it.

Reading with writing might be the way to go for me too. Do you read first or write first?

Linnette R Mullin said...

Totally amazing book!!! Please throw my name in the hat! :D

I don't have a schedule. That's my problem. I need a schedule, but when I make one, something always happens to blow it and I'm back to square one. Still... I read and I write. Sometimes I read first. Sometimes I write first. Depends on the context of my life at the moment. Reading can be a distraction from writing, but I've also found it helps feed my creativity. It may not get the words on the page, but it often ignites the words in my mind. Not that I copycat, but rather they act as a muse. :)

DM Kilgore said...

Consider your name the final entry! Thanks for commenting! I'll be doing the random drawing in the next 20 minutes. ;)

Good luck to everyone entered!

DM Kilgore said...

CONGRATULATIONS AMANDA DICKERSON!!!! You have won the personalized and autographed copy of "The 13th Tribe". =)

Post a Comment

Greetings Realm-Rider! Thank you for hopping aboard the crazy train. I applaud your curiosity and courage. You have reached your destination: The Realm of D.M. Kilgore. There's lots to see and even more to do. Don't forget to grab a crash helmet! Oh, and before you go, let me know about your visit! Drop me a comment, question, or just let me know where your journey began. Don't just lurk in the shadows! Leave me a comment! You're automatically entered to win a prize when you do.