Life's a collision course and I'm a crash test dummy.
Brace for impact!
Join me on a kamikaze run through life as we break down the barriers that keep us from reaching our goals.
Together we will dream more, learn more, do more, and become more on a whirlwind journey of personal discovery and development.

IMPORTANT:

Bookmark my blog because new content is added daily!

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Jingle Jingle Jingle... He's back!

 

It's that time of year again...

Every year, around this time, we put up our Christmas tree.





We don't decorate it right away, just put it up and plug it in.

Why don't we decorate it?

Well, we're waiting on someone else to do it for us of course!




Luckily, we do have someone that shows up the night our tree goes up!  

 He decorates it from top to bottom. 
Do you see him?
There under the tree...

 
His name is Jingle.

He is our Scout Elf.  Every year, if the kiddo has been good, he shows up to keep an eye on things and then report back to Santa about any naughty or Grinchy behavior.

Needless to say, it's not just the kiddo that has to make an effort to be good. *wink*

His bear pal is named Chilly.  My little one gave our scout elf this special friend to travel with him to and from the North Pole, so he wouldn't get lonely on the journey.

We were glad to see Chilly returned as well.
The two always have such fun together!


Jingle had many adventures last year. 
Some funny, some messy, some crazy, and some very sweet.


We can't wait to see what kind of fun and mischief they will get into this year!

So far we have woken up to a beautifully decorated tree and the sound of a train chugging along the tracks.  I admit it was a rather rude awakening, but hey, they sure seem to be having fun!



Are you wondering what all this has to do with writing?  Well, on the surface, not much.  But as I always say, "Dig deeper."  This whole Elf On The Shelf thing takes a lot of creativity!  It takes a lot of work to quietly create so much fun and mischief while the rest of the house is sleeping!  It's also a wonderful opportunity to inspire your children's creativity and encourage their imagination.  We always have a long talk about what Jingle was up to while we were sleeping.  My son comes up with some rather fabulous ideas, naturally, he gets that from me.

Last year, I had sense enough to jot down his wonderful stories in a "Jingle Journal".  We took pictures of all of our elf's crazy overnight adventures.  After he left us to go back to the North Pole, we put together a scrapbook with all of our stories and the pictures.  It helped ease the sadness of Jingle's departure and it was also a fun and stimulating activity.  It helped my little one understand "writing" books can be as much fun as reading them.

Jingle left my son a new friend, "Buddy" (seen in the picture above- he's the one with the ball cap) to keep him company while he was away.  For several nights after Jingle went home, I heard my son reading the scrapbook stories to his new friend and telling him all about the mischief our elf got into while here.

Our little scout elf further nurtured the love for reading and writing in my little boy's heart.  

His nightly adventures also kept me on my toes and kept the creative juices flowing!

Jingle is a new tradition that I only wish we'd found sooner!  I hope we get to continue it for many years to come.  Some day, perhaps Jingle will be reporting back to Santa on my grandchildren as well.  

In honor of the giving season...  I think I'll do another give-away!

Tell me about your favorite Family Christmas Tradition!  Leave a comment below and I'll choose one random winner on Saturday, Dec. 1st!


Up For Grabs:




*shake-shake-shake*
I'm not going to tell you what's up for grabs.
IT'S A SURPRISE!



PS:  If you want to follow Jingle's adventures this year
you will find that on my other blog:

PIECES OF MY HEART

I'll be posting a Jingle Update
every Friday, beginning tomorrow.







5 comments :

lessmoreabundantly.com said...

My favorite tradition is cheesy pajamas. It started a few years ago when I bought all the 'men' (little boys included) in my life pajama pants. They were reflective of their current passions, pursuits or inside jokes. For my vegetarian brother one year, he received bacon pajamas. When my father took us in during a hard time, his holiday pants were superman.

This year I am expanding the tradition to include the girls. My brother has had the good sense to fall in love with a tremendously amazing young woman. So, finally, there is another woman in the house to balance all the testosterone. We are all going to wear coordinating holiday pajamas.

I am dreaming of the holiday photo already.

It will be either a personalized t-shirt with the year and some sort of pithy design or some obnoxious plaid nonsense.

DM Kilgore said...

I LOVE IT! I always get the boys some new pj's for those early bed-head Christmas morning photos but I love the creativity and personalization of your "cheesy" pj's tradition! That's terrific!!! =)

Ramirez said...

Hi Donna,
We have a lot of traditions in my home. Since we homeschool most of them have some aspect of school. We take off the month of December from our normal studies and do Christmas school. We study the meanings behind Christmas symbols. This year we will do a until study on "A Christmas Carol"
We wrap all of our Christmas books in pretty wrapping paper and a large box in wrapping paper too. Everyday we take out a book, unwrap it and read it. Last year my youngest unwrapped all of the books in one day.
We bake a cake for Christmas Eve and sing Happy Birthday to baby Jesus as the older kids put the Nativity baby into the manger.
We have so many traditions that I would take up your whole blog. :D

I remember your Elf from our days on Donna Young's forum.
((Hugs))

Maria

DM Kilgore said...

Oh wow what an awesome tradition!!! I might have to steal that one. ;) I simply LOVE it!

DM Kilgore said...

CONGRATS TO MARIA!!!! My foster dog Daisy picked this week's winner. LoL

Post a Comment

Greetings Realm-Rider! Thank you for hopping aboard the crazy train. I applaud your curiosity and courage. You have reached your destination: The Realm of D.M. Kilgore. There's lots to see and even more to do. Don't forget to grab a crash helmet! Oh, and before you go, let me know about your visit! Drop me a comment, question, or just let me know where your journey began. Don't just lurk in the shadows! Leave me a comment! You're automatically entered to win a prize when you do.